Thursday, September 20, 2012

iTunes 10.7.021 KaBOOM!!! If This Was a Microsoft Product It Would Be News

Yep, another Apple rant from Erik Smile with tongue out I realize I use computer/network products as a power user so my experience may not mirror your own but you’d think a simple upgrade would go smoothly. Why Apple doesn’t throw iTunes into the trash can in favor of something better I can’t figure out.

Since I jumped on board with it so many years ago, I stayed with it, frustrations and all. I run iTunes off of a home made Windows Home Server 2011 server I built last year. The machine is so stable it runs for 8 plus months without a reboot. I reboot it because I want to, which is nice but I have no doubt I could let it go for a year or more, if it wasn’t for software updates I’d try it out and see.

I run iTunes off of it and use air sync for my iPad and my Gen 1 Apple TV syncs over the network. Great right? Yep, until 10.7.021 update that is, now it blows up while loading the iTunes store within the application. The application is junk to begin with but 80% of my music is in there so it will be a huge chore to change.

The work around from Apple, disconnect the computer from the network/internet until the problem, IF THERE IS ONE…  Disappointed smile   is found. They don’t support servers so why would I install it on one!? Why indeed, why oh why would I ever install iTunes on a server designed to SHARE music on the network and give me one place to sync too and backup? Seriously?? After all why use air sync or wirelessly stream music from iTunes to my Marantz receiver, or any other network device with such capability?? Genius, cracks me up. $700.00 a share, good grief.

So until they decide to fix this I have to unplug my server from the network when loading iTunes which means I have to actually be at the server to do this which negates the ease of remotely controlling it to set things. How long for the mighty Apple to fix this? Apple’s response, “it’s a Windows problem so we’re not responsible for fixing it.”  You can’t make this stuff up, something that worked fine until the latest APPLE released upgrade and it’s Windows (read Microsoft’s) fault?!?

Look it up on Google and you’ll find others having the same issues in Windows 7 as well as Server 2008 R2 (Server 2008 R2 is the underpinning of WHS 2011). So this Windows issue will have to wait until the next update to maybe get fixed.

I am slowly removing myself from Apple products, sold my MacBook AIR, Power Mac, Mac Pro and iPhone. Still have one Power Mac but it died so it’s a paper weight, that leaves one MacBook Pro 17 that I just finished preparing for eBay last night and one iPad that I received from work.

I can’t sell the iPad but if I could I would, the more I deal with Apple as a company the more I realize they are exactly what they claimed to hate about Microsoft. If you think I’m a Microsoft fanboy you’d be sorely mistaken, Windows 8 is garbage in my view, not simply because of the Metro tile interface but because having used the RTM on several computers, they all share the same kind of bugs that shouldn’t be in an OS that has been around this long.

Who has a touch screen on a server, exactly, less than the people with PC’s do. So why have a tile interface in Windows Server 2012? Makes no sense so don’t think I favor Microsoft. I hold them both accountable for their foibles.

People love Apple because of their design, try replacing the hard drive in the past few generations of iMac. After you have pulled your hair out because Apple made it a nightmare come back and tell me how well designed they are..

End of Apple rant…

1 comment:

  1. Good evening Erik, I have both Mac and Windows machines here. I am getting very soon the KX3 and am hoping to run it with my Imac. I will agree iTunes is a real pain!! I have been told that my iTunes software was in need of an upgrade. I thought great and did the upgrade only to find that a load of my tunes were gone into Mac land somewhere. I do have an Iphone and love it. BUT I am for sure still getting used to the Mac air and Imac.

    ReplyDelete

I know some people like VE7KFM can't help themselves but if you feel the need to post as "Anonymous" add your name. For some reason he has no issue blasting his call on the air but online he is too frightened to do so, maybe he is afraid of what can happen, who knows, but for the rest of you, please leave a name or call, thanks.