Tuesday, November 20, 2012

First Contest 11/17/12

I was licensed in 2008 but never tried responding to contests and was barely active because of antenna limitations and work. I decided that today I would try and participate in some contests I was hearing on 10m. I first made contact with VA7ST, I was clueless in what to say to him but couldn’t get him after the initial contact. The second contact was solid to N6EE and he explained exactly what I needed to do so I did log the first one with VA7ST but I think it will be rejected since there wasn’t a full exchange of information.

These guys talk so fast, I know the idea is to get as many contacts as possible but wow. I was kind of shocked to get out to BC and CA on 10m with just an attic 10m dipole with bad conditions!

Speaking of antennas I adjusted the 10m so it is straight but SWR on that one and my 20m dipoles are through the roof without an antenna tuner. With the tuner it’s fine, these are cut for these bands so at some part of the band the SWR should be fine and I could adjust from there but nope, all over both bands both antennas have SWR of 5 or higher.

Perhaps it’s because they’re in the attic and this is life for that kind of set up? Not sure but I will figure this out….

1 comment:

  1. Hello Erik, it's great fun to make QSO's in a contest. The contest offers a large activity and the operator's are willing to work everyone. hi. A contest is a great opportunity, to discover what is possible. As a CW and milliwatt enthusiast, I make contest QSO's with very low power. Have contest in the contest. 73, Bert

    ReplyDelete

I know some people like VE7KFM can't help themselves but if you feel the need to post as "Anonymous" add your name. For some reason he has no issue blasting his call on the air but online he is too frightened to do so, maybe he is afraid of what can happen, who knows, but for the rest of you, please leave a name or call, thanks.